in the weeds
- immersed or entangled in details or complexities
Have you ever wondered about the resilience of plants? Tiny shoots will spring out through even the tiniest cracks in the pavement.
In the Weeds socks are knitted from the toe up in the round. The socks feature tiny lace panels and twisted stitches. Gusset increases worked in twisted rib are placed on top of the foot. The lace and twisted-stitch pattern is foot hugging, giving a comfortable fit on a wide range of foot sizes.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for the stitch patterns. The pattern assumes knowledge of a cast-on and bind-off method for toe-up socks as well as knowledge of working short rows using the wrap-and-turn method.
Share your project with the hashtags #intheweedssocks
- Foot and ankle circumference: approx. 19.5 cm / 7¾"
- Foot length: approx. 23 cm / 9" or adjustable within pattern
- Leg length from cuff to top of heel flap: approx. 16.5 cm / 6½" or adjustable within pattern
- Garnstudio DROPS Nord (45% alpaca, 30% nylon, 25% wool, 170 m/50 g), 2 skeins. The sample pair is knitted in color #10 Lemongrass.
- or approx. 325 m / 355 yd of fingering-weight sock yarn
- 2.5 mm / US #1½ DPNs or circular needle(s) for working small circumferences in the round (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 4 stitch markers
- Darning needle
32 sts × 42 rnds = 10 cm / 4” in stockinette
The pattern uses the following techniques: working small circumferences in the round, lace, short rows, and twisted stitches. Ability to follow charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the stitch patterns.
The pattern assumes knowledge of a cast-on and bind-off method for toe-up socks; references are given for a couple of alternatives. The pattern also assumes knowledge of working short rows using the wrap-and-turn method.