It is a sister design to my Pictus pullover.
Pictus from Latin “embellished” is for those, who like me, love colourwork. These are middle length socks: with a trim of floral colourwork on the cuff and contrasting German short row heel and toe. The socks are knit top-down in the round.
- The pattern is written for four sizes 1 (2, 3, 4) to fit 21 (23, 25.5, 27.5) cm // 8.25 (9.25, 10.25, 11) in foot/leg circumference.
- Leg length from the cuff to the start of the heel: 13 cm (5.25 in).
- The sample is shown in size 1 on EU 38 (UK 5.5, US 7.5) shoe size feet. The yardage is estimated accordingly.
To choose a size use the widest circumference as a reference: leg (about 10 cm (4 in) above the ankle) or foot (widest part). The length of your feet does not matter at this point, just make sure to have a bit extra yarn for sizes above EU 38 (UK 5.5, US 7.5).
For a mismatched pair like mine:
- MC (background colour): ca. 30 (32, 35, 37) g of Darnie from Studio Donegal, 100% merino wool, 2 ply with 410 m (448 yds) in 100 g, shown in colourway 8812 Oatmeal; or ca. 123 (133, 143, 153) m // 135 (145, 156, 167) yds of any other heavy fingering/sport weight yarn with a matching gauge.
- CC (colourwork colour): the same amount of any other heavy fingering/sport weight yarn in contrasting colour, (I’m using a sister yarn Kilcarra Soft Donegal Tweed Singles from Donegal Yarns from a cone, in colourway 5585 Sunset);
Needles and notions
- 2.5 mm (US 1.5) 10-20 cm (4-8 in) DPNs (or any other needles of your choice, I chose to work the whole sock on DPNS);
- a few stitch markers;
- a tapestry needle for weaving in the ends and grafting the toe.
- 26 sts & 36 rnds in 10 cm (4 in) measured over stockinette stitch worked in the round on 2.5 mm (US 1.5) needles after blocking;
- 26 sts & 36 rnds in 10 cm (4 in) measured over colourwork worked in the round on 2.5 mm (US 1.5) needles after blocking.
Adjust the needle sizes if necessary to obtain the correct gauge.