As meat consumption rises, its impact on the environment, human health and animal welfare becomes of increasing concern. The Future of Protein book investigates protein source diversification as a potential measure to combat the negative effects associated with industrialised meat production and over-consumption. It also looks into the potential barriers to a pivot in preferred protein sources and how these barriers can potentially be overcome.
Questions explored in this research:
- What is meat?
- What are people’s drivers towards choosing food products?
- What the most crucial thing is to make plant-based foods more lucrative?
- What’s the future of protein? What does animal welfare mean?
- What is the future of meat production?
- What are some of the current consumption trends that are pointing towards and also, away from, the future?
- Do you consider cultured meat, meat?