Get Rockweed Beanie at half price with the purchase of either Rockweed or Rockweed Pullover. No coupon code needed — just add both patterns to your cart and check out.
Like its cardigan and pullover companions, Rockweed Beanie features an ornate stitch pattern with sharp double decreases that create undulating waves of lace. Give a subtle glow to your hat by knitting fingering-weight yarn together with fluffy silk mohair.
The beanie is worked in the round from the bottom up, starting with a brim made in twisted ribbing. Each tier of the lace pattern is separated by a couple of garter ridges. After every repeat the beginning-of-round shifts forward for a seamless transition between the tiers. Crown decreases are incorporated within the lace pattern.
Rockweed Beanie comes in three sizes intended to fit small, medium, or large adult heads with approximately 2.5–5 cm or 1–2" of negative ease. The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for the lace pattern.
- S [M, L]
- To fit head circumference 51–53 [57–59, 63–65] cm / 20–21 [22¼–23¼, 24½–25½]" with approx. 2.5–5 cm / 1–2" of negative ease
- Hat circumference: approx. 48 [54, 60] cm / 19 [21¼, 23½]" or adjustable within pattern
- Brim circumference: approx. 44 [49, 55] cm / 17¼ [19¼, 21½]" or adjustable within pattern
- Length from brim to crown: approx. 21 [22, 23] cm / 8½ [8¾, 9¼]" or adjustable within pattern
The sample beanies were knit in size S.
- Yarn A: smooth fingering-weight yarn, such as pure wool or a wool blend, approx. 130 [150, 170] m / 140 [160, 180] yd
- Yarn B: fluffy lace-weight yarn, such as mohair, mohair/silk, or brushed alpaca, approx. 130 [150, 170] m / 140 [160, 180] yd
Both yarns are held together throughout the pattern.
- DK-weight yarn, approx. 130 [150, 170] m / 140 [160, 180] yd
The sample beanies were knit with:
- Yarn A: Retrosaria Mondim (100% non-superwash wool, 385 m/100 g, 421 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #305
- Yarn B: Filcolana Tilia (70% mohair, 30% silk, 210 m/25 g, 230 yd/0.88 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #326 Meadow
- Yarn A: Holst Garn Supersoft (100% wool, 287 m/50 g, 314 yd/1.76 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #21 Goldcrest
- Yarn B: Filcolana Tilia (70% mohair, 30% silk, 210 m/25 g, 230 yd/0.88 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #352 Red Squirrel
- 4.0 mm / US #6 short circular needle (40 cm / 16”) for lace (or size to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US #4 short circular needle for twisted ribbing
- Or long (80–100 cm / 32–40") circular needle(s) in the same sizes for working in magic loop or with two needles
- 1 locking stitch marker
- Darning needle
- 20 sts × 30 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in the lace pattern on larger needles with both yarns held together, blocked
- 22 sts × 30 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in twisted ribbing on smaller needles with both yarns held together, blocked
The pattern uses the following techniques: working in the round, twisted ribbing, lace, and jogless garter stitch in the round. Instructions for the lace pattern are provided in both written and charted format.