Mara socks Knitting pattern PDF
Mara was designed in collaboration with The Fibre Co., through their annual yarn support programme for indie designers. I feel very honoured to be one of the first testers of their beautiful new sock yarn, Amble. I highly recommend you try it, if you haven’t yet.
The socks are knitted from the cuff down to the toe. Begin using the Long-tail Tubular Cast-on method for a neat edge, then continue in 1x1 Rib to give enough elasticity to the cuff. Work the leg of the socks in a brocade pattern, called Lattice stitch pattern. In order to create a sturdy and durable, yet beautiful heel, work the heel flap in the Rosette stitch pattern, then turn the heel using some short rows. After decreasing to create the gussets and get back to the original number of stitches, work the foot, then finish the socks either with the Short, Medium or Long Sideways Toe.
S (M, L)
- or EU 36-37 (38-39, 40-41) / UK 3.5-4 (5-5.5, 6.5-7) / US 5.5-6 (7-8, 8.5-9). For gift knitting, use shoe sizes as a guide, work a Medium Sideways Toe and, if between sizes, choose the smaller size.
Please note, that shoe sizes may vary among shoe manufacturers.
Shoe sizes above are based on the following foot lengths (measured from the back of the heel to the tip of the longest toe): 22.75 (24.25, 25.5) cm / 9 (9.5, 10)”.
- or to fit a circumference measurement at the ball of the foot of 21.75 (23, 24.25) cm / 8.5 (9, 9.5)”.
Finished sock circumference
18.75 (20, 21.25) cm / 7.5 (8, 8.5)” (Note: for a snug fit, the socks are intentionally 3 cm / 1” smaller, for all sizes, than the wearer’s foot circumference).
Finished sock leg length (adjustable)
20 (20.75, 21.75) cm / 8.25 (8.5, 8.75)” (measured from the bottom of the heel to the edge of the cuff).
Finished sock foot length (adjustable)
21.5 (23, 24.25) cm / 8.5 (9, 9.5)” (measured from the back of the heel to the tip of the longest toe)
(Note: for a snug fit, the socks are intentionally 1.25 cm / 0.5” shorter than the wearer’s foot).
Sample shown in size L with Medium Sideways Toe.
2 mm / US 0 (for the Long-tail Tubular Cast-on),
2.5 mm / US 1.5, or size needed to obtain gauge. Sample made using 80 cm / 32” long circular needle, however choose the length according to your preference.
10 removable stitch markers
blunt tapestry needle
sock blockers (not required but would be useful)
32 sts and 44 rnds = 10 cm / 4” over Stocking stitch. Gauge swatch worked on size 2.5 mm / US 1.5 needle, in the round. Measurements taken from flattened but unstretched fabric, after blocking.
1 (1, 2) hank(s) of The Fibre Co. Amble yarn, in Buttermere colourway, 70% easy-wash merino wool, 20% easy-wash alpaca, 10% recycled nylon,
approx. 100 g / 325 m / 355 yds per hank;
- or approx. 270 (302, 337) m / 295 (330, 369) yds of fingering or sock weight yarn that gives you gauge. Yardage includes 15% of extra yarn. Please note that size and yardage will be affected when making any adjustments on the socks.
Tutorials are included in the pattern:
- Long-tail Tubular Cast-on
- Magic loop circular knitting technique
- How to close the gap between instep and gusset
- How to work a neat Ssk
- Kitchener stitch (Grafting)
The pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knitted.
You will get a PDF (1MB) file