Jupiter’s eighth largest moon, Elara, is in the Himalia group, and may have originated as a piece of an asteroid that broke apart in a collision. In Greek Mythology, Elara was one of Zeus’ lovers. He hid Elara from his wife, Hera, deeply underground, where she gave birth to a giant named Tityas.
This simple v-neck cardigan is mostly stockinette stitch with cable details at the hems, bands, and pocket tops. Worked from the hem up in pieces, it’s then seamed, and the bands are knit on. Pockets are placed while knitting the fronts, and need to be tacked down as part of finishing. Though sweater is designed without buttons, they could easily be added, placing the buttonholes between cables on the button band.
Love twinsets? I have just the thing for you. Himalia is a cute little tee that uses these very same cables for waist shaping!
- Yarn: bulky weight 960, 1100, 1190 [1300, 1430, 1580, 1710] yards.
- Model: Green Mountain Spinnery Mountain Mohair in Raven in fourth smallest size; 140 yards in 57g; 70% wool 30% yearling mohair.
- Gauge: 17 sts and 24 rows to 4 inches in stockinette stitch.
- Needles: US 9 (5.5 mm).
- Finished size: 35, 37.5, 40.5 [43.5, 46, 49, 52] inches.
- To fit bust: up to 3 inches smaller than finished sweater.
- Stitch instructions: Charted and written.