Rene Lalique’s work in both jewelry and glass during the Art Nouveau era is world renowned, and was a driving influence of the movement’s form and flow. The simplicity and elegance of his style inspired this garment. Here, classic bellflower and feather and fan motifs are accented with tiny hexagonal beads that add a subtle little sparkle as you move.
The sweater is worked in one piece from a provisional cast on to the armholes where fronts and back are worked separately to the shoulders. A point d’esprit border is added to the lower edge later. Sleeves are worked in the same manner, then attached and seamed after sweater is blocked. A simple border is knit around the neckline to mimic the front edges. Sweater fits best with 1 to 2 inches positive ease. Instructions for adding top button not included.
- Yarn: Lace weight, 580, 640, 700, 770 [830, 910, 980, 1050] yards.
- Model: The Sanguine Gryphon, Gaia Lace in Water Lilies.
- Gauge: 19 sts and 26 rows to 4 inches in stitch pattern, blocked.
- Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm) needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Crochet hooks: US H/3.75 mm crochet hook for provisional cast-on, and US 13/.85 mm crochet hook (or whatever size fits through the hole in the beads) for placing beads.
- Beads: 400, 425, 450, 500 [525, 550, 600, 625] 8/0 or 6/0 beads.
- Finished size: 32.5, 35, 37.5, 40 [42.5, 45, 47.5, 50] inches.
- Fit: to fit bust approximately 2 inches smaller than finished sweater.
- Stitch instructions: Charted and written.
Three PDFs included: English, French (-fr), and Spanish (-es).