Pay what you want: (minimum €6.90)
DESCRIPTIONWintermint Mitts are made of lace and twisted ribbing. These sweet little fingerless mitts are worked from the cuff up in fingering-weight yarn. Taking just a small amount of yarn, this pattern is great for those precious one-off skeins or leftovers from other projects.
A twisted-rib cuff ensures the mitts fit snugly around the wrist. The rhythmic, repeating lace pattern on the back of hand is quick to memorize. The palm is worked entirely in stockinette, making these mitts simple and fast to knit. The mitts also feature gusseted thumbs.
The pattern for Wintermint Mitts comes in 4 sizes (50, 54, 58, and 62 sts), to fit from kids to large adults. Instructions for the lace pattern are given in both charted and row-by-row written format. The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #wintermintmitts and #talviknits.
- XS [S, M, L]
- 50 [54, 58, 62] sts
- Hand circumference: approx. 16.5 [18, 19.5, 20.5] cm / 6½ [7, 7½, 8¼]"
- Hand length: approx. 10.5 [12.5, 12.5, 14.5] cm / 4¼ [5, 5, 5¾]" or adjustable within pattern
- Cuff circumference: approx. 12.5 [13.5, 14.5, 15.5] cm / 5 [5¼, 5¾, 6]"
- Cuff length: approx. 6.5 [7, 7.5, 8] cm / 2½ [2¾, 3, 3¼]" or adjustable
Choose a size that's closest to your hand circumference with zero or little negative ease. The sample pair was knit in size M.
- Jalovilla Vuona (100% non-superwash wool, 205 m/50 g, 224 yd/1.76 oz), 1 skein in an aqua colorway
- Or fingering-weight yarn, approx. 135 [160, 180, 210] m / 150 [175, 200, 230] yd
- 2.5 mm / US #1½ double-pointed or circular needle(s) (or size to obtain gauge)
- 4 stitch markers (8 if working two-at-a-time)
- Stitch holder for thumb stitches (e.g., waste yarn or safety pin)
- Darning needle
- 30 sts × 44 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in stockinette and lace pattern, blocked
- 40 sts × 44 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in twisted ribbing, blocked and unstretched
TECHNIQUES USEDThis pattern uses the following techniques: alternating long-tail cast-on, working small circumferences in the round, twisted ribbing, lace, and Lori's Twisty Bind-off. Ability to follow charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the stitch patterns.
References are given below for the special cast-on and bind-off techniques used in the pattern.