Coxwain - Sock Pattern PDF
Get this pattern for free when you purchase a kit for this design! Click here for more information.
Can you hear the coxswain calling out to the shell boat crew? You are at the helm of your knitting, and handknit socks are a great way to express that.
Coxswain Socks are worked from the top down, launching with a ribbed cuff and transitioning to a lace panel down the front. Choose a solid or semi-solid sock yarn to let the lace stand out. Triangles of purls along the midline are like the hull cutting through the surface. Eyelets form the oars as they dip into the water, all in sync. You’ll stay on course until it’s time to work the eye of partridge heel flap and gusset. Then, it’s back to the lace and a race to the finish!
The pattern is written for 3 adult sizes and video tutorials are provided for the stitches and techniques used to make the socks.
Skills / Techniques Used – Knit, purl, slip stitch, short rows, eyelets, decreases
Sizes and Measurements
Hand knit socks are designed to be slightly smaller than the foot length to give a small amount of negative ease. This means that they will hug the foot and leg and stay in place. The sizes given are a ‘to fit’ size. The actual socks will be slightly smaller to allow a little stretch for a snug fit.
The sizes given in this pattern are for adult sizes in small, medium and large. To determine which size sock to knit you will need to measure your foot as follows:
Circumference – Take a tape measure and wrap this around the widest part of your foot, just before your toes.
Length – Take a ruler and place it on the floor. With the back of your heel on ‘0’ measure the length to the top of your longest toe.
If your measurements are in between the sizes given, select the nearest circumference size as the length can be easily adjusted to fit.
• Small Adult - 8” / 20.5cm foot circumference and 8.5” / 21.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• Medium Adult - 9” / 23cm foot circumference and 9.25” / 23.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
• Large Adult - 9.75” / 25cm foot circumference and 10” / 25.5cm length from tip of toe to back of heel
The size shown in the pattern photographs is for the small adult.
When choosing the yarn for your socks you want to be looking for a yarn with nylon content or a high twist as this adds extra durability and strength.
• 1 x 3.5oz / 100g, 440 yd / 400m skein of 4ply sock yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is the Under the Olive Tree 75% superwash merino / 25% nylon Chora 4ply yarn in the Clear Water colourway
• 1 set of 2.5mm double pointed needles (or size needed to obtain gauge)
• 3 Stitch Markers
• 1 Tapestry Needle
- Gauge - 32 stitches and 44 rnds to 4” / 10cm in stockinette stitch after blocking
This pattern has been professionally tech edited and test knit