DESCRIPTIONSoft River is a lightweight, reversible shawl that is as soothing to knit as it is to wear. Made with calming stockinette and simple garter stitch cables, this is a lovely spring accessory. Knit the shawl in a lightweight yarn and luxurious fiber composition for the perfect drape.
Soft River can be worn either with the stockinette or the reverse stockinette side showing; the garter stitch cables look the same either way. The pattern comes in two sizes along with easy-to-follow instructions for adjusting the size of the shawl as needed. The smaller size will make the perfect accessory shawl for warmer months. The larger size will keep you wrapped in warmth throughout the year.
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Only written instructions are provided for the cable pattern.
Share your project with the hashtags #softrivershawl and #talviknits.
- Small [Large]
- Wingspan: approx. 170  cm / 5’7” [6’11”]
- Depth: approx. 45  cm / 17¾ [25½]”
- The Fibre Co. Meadow (40% merino wool, 25% baby llama, 20% silk, 15% linen, 498 m/100 g), 1  skeins.
- Or light fingering weight yarn, approx. 530  m / 580  yd
- 3.0 mm / US #2½ long circular needle (80–100 cm / 32–40”) or size needed to obtain gauge
- 1 stitch marker
- Cable needle
- Darning needle
GAUGE21 sts × 35 rows = 10 cm / 4” in stockinette, blocked
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: stockinette, garter stitch, cables, slipped stitches, and knitted-on border. Instructions for the cable pattern are provided only in written format.
Yarn support for this design was generously provided by The Fibre Co.