Pay what you want: (minimum €6.90)
DESCRIPTIONHibernia was the name given by the ancient Romans to the island of Ireland, the land of winter. The Hibernia Quartet is a set of four DK-weight accessories rife with cables and ancient lore. The focal point of each of the patterns is an interlocking cable with a moss stitch center.
Hibernia Mitts are knit in the round from the cuff up. An ornate cable on the back of the hand flows seamlessly from the cuff and into the top ribbing. The mitts feature a gusseted, reverse-stockinette thumb to match the plain reverse-stockinette palm. These quick-to-knit fingerless mitts come in two sizes and can be worked two-at-a-time.
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for all cable patterns.
Share your project on Instagram with the photos #hiberniamitts and #talviknits.
Add Hibernia Mitts, Hibernia Beanie, Hibernia Mittens, and Hibernia Headband in your cart and get 15% off your entire order!
- Small [Large]
- 48  sts
- Finished palm circumference: approx. 22  cm / 8¾ [10¼]”
- Length from wrist to top: 20  cm / 7¾ [8¾]”
- Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 240 m/100 g, 262 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma Single DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 250 m/100 g, 273 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or approx. 170  m / 185  yd of DK to worsted-weight yarn
- 4.0 mm / US #6 double-pointed needles or circular needle(s) for the cable pattern (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US #4 double-pointed needles or circular needle(s) for ribbing
- Cable needle (optional)
- Darning needle
- 2 stitch markers (4 if working two-at-a-time)
- Waste yarn or stitch holder for thumb stitches
- 21 sts × 32 rows = 10 cm / 4” in cable pattern on larger needles, blocked
- 30 sts × 33 rows = 10 cm / 4” in ribbing on smaller needles, unstretched
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: long-tail cast-on, working in the round in a small circumference, and cables. Ability to read charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the cable pattern.
Yarn for this pattern was generously provided by Kässäkerho Pom Pom.