Double Dutch Childs Cardigan
What you will need:
- Yarn – Yarn used in the sample is Primrose Yarn Co in the Jasper DK base in the Nasty Unicorn Colourway (225m/247yds) – Alternatively you can also use a Worsted weight yarn or even fingering weight yarn held double (if you plan to substitute yarn in this way you will need to swatch to ensure your gauge matches the pattern).- 225 – 800m (247 – 988 yds) of DK Weight Yarn (100-400g)
- 4.5mm (US7) and 4mm (US6) 80cm/32in circulars, and DPN’s for Sleeves or use Magic Loop Method.
- 4 Marker A and 6 Marker B markers (the two sets of markers need to be distinct from each other)
- Beginning of Round Marker - optional,
- Scrap yarn (or stitch holders),
- 5-8 - ½ inch sized Buttons
- Tapestry Needle
Sizing – The pattern includes 6 children sizes ranging from 0-6 months up to 6-8 years old. Intended ease is around 1-2 inches or as much as you desire. I have made the sleeve and body lengths longer than average to accommodate those rapidly growing little ones. Of course these lengths are easily customizable to your preferences.
I would also suggest going off the finished chest circumference measurements to see which size you need to knit for your intended recipient as the associated ages next to it are the average and the child you knit for may be smaller or larger than the average.
Schematic and Sizing Table shown in the photos on the left.
Note the sample is knit in the 2-4year size shown on my 1 year old daughter (it is big for her with plenty of room for her to grow into it and she’s on the larger end of the scale for her age)