After November 2017 this and all the other patterns in the collection will be available for individual purchase.
Pattern InspirationThis pattern and design was inspired by Yorkville the area of Manhattan where I live with my family … and these socks are warm and cosy both to knit and wear and that is generally what I think of when I think of home - being warm and cosy! This is a simple knit and purl texture pattern with no fancy or special stitches making it a perfect project for working on in front of the TV our out and about on the go … its not complicated but keeps you engaged with the regularly changing pattern so it never gets boring … its quick to memorise and easy to see where you are in the repeat making this a great pattern for beginners and more experienced knitters alike! This pattern would work great with all variety of yarns and dye styles.
What you will need:• Yarn – 100g Sock Yarn (approx. 365-400m / 400-440 yds) Sample knit in Primrose Yarn Co - Cosmic Helix Base (100% Superwash Merino) in the Springy Colourway.
• Needles – 2.25mm or 2.5mm (US 1 or 1.5) on a Long cable for magic loop (I suggest 40” / 100cm for two at a time knitting).
• Notions – Stitch Markers if you wish to mark the beginning of the round or pattern repeats. I also use a progress keeper to keep track of my row count and how many rows I have done (this can also work to mark the right side of your work).
• Gauge – Approx 8-9 sts/inch in stockinette
• Size – Socks are sized in a Small (Medium/Large). Sizes are based on foot circumference and not length as you knit the sock as long as you need to in order to fit the recipient. Please also note that socks need to have about 1-2 inches (2.5-5cm) of negative ease in order to provide a nice snug fit around the foot without being too baggy. Further, socks will loosen up over time and with wear so personally I prefer a nice snug fit at the start to reduce this effect later.
o Small size will fit a foot circumference of approx. 8-9 inches,
o Medium for a foot circumference of approx. 9-10 inches,
o & Large for a foot circumference of approx. 10-11 inches.
Note about Instructions:• Instructions are shown Small (Medium/Large) throughout the pattern, where stitch counts vary.
• I knit my socks using the Magic Loop method, however the pattern can be adapted to be used with DPN’s or 9inch Circulars if that is your preferred method for knitting socks.
• Instructions are provided below for both Cuff Down and Toe Up. The Cuff Down instructions are first followed by the Toe Up instructions.
• A general outline of the sock construction is first provided followed by the stitch pattern to be used for the leg and foot.
• At the end of the pattern you will find the instructions for the German Short Row Heel which is worked exactly the same way for both Toe Up and Cuff Down socks. (Note the sample sock heels were knit in Garter stitch – to do this you follow the heel instructions as written but knit every row rather than purling on the wrong side).
• The Modified Heel Flap Adjustment (MHFA) instructions can be found as a separate PDF download along with this pattern. This was done to reduce the file size of this pattern.