This pattern is meant for knitters with some experience with double-knitting and chart reading. That being said, I've included tips in the note section that may help an adventurous knitter with no double-knitting experience but who can knit from charts to knit this scarf.
The charts may look a bit strange. I've employed a technique called ‘2 pattern double-knitting’ which keeps motifs like letters and treble clefs completely reversible, and most importantly readable. Trust in the charts; your scarf really will come out similar to the photos.
Tie up your ghillies (gill-ease), grab two of your dance school's colors (or your favorite colors), and join me in Rínce Fada!
Size: one but there is a section you can easily adjust the length by working more or less repeats. If you decide to work more repeats you will require more yarn than the amount listed.
Measurements: 70.5”/176.25 cm long & 8.25”/20.6 cm wide
Gauge: in double-knitting colorwork*, 27.5 sts & 39 rows = 4”/10 cm
*keep in mind when measuring double-knitting that you're only counting the sts visible on one side, so you will actually have double the amount of sts in the actual knitting
- 770 yds/704 m fingering weight wool for MC (sample shown with Knit Picks Palette (100% wool, 231 yds/211 m = 50g) in “macaw” (bright green))
- 770 yds/704 m fingering weight wool for CC (sample shown with Knit Picks Palette (100% wool, 231 yds/211 m = 50g) in “majestic” (purple))
- 3.0 mm/ US 2.5 needles, or size needed to obtain gauge, to knit flat
- 2 cable needles
- tapestry needle
- 2 pattern double-knitting
- chart reading for double-knitting
- cables in double-knitting (explained in the pattern)
Won't you dance with me?