Treble Reel Toque
The Treble Reel Toque is knit in the round and involves some short rows to lengthen the back and keep your ears and neck warmer. Too often hats ride up exposing earlobes to the frigid winds. Not with this one! I live on an island in the North Atlantic Ocean and spent much of my life on the flat prairies of Western Canada; I understand never ending cold winds. I used basic wrap and turn short-rows, and these are explained in the pattern. I hope you'll find them easy to do. This pattern also has decreasing cables in the crown shaping. These are explained in the notes section.
I have included both written instructions and a chart for the body of the hat, but the crown shaping is only written; I had a great deal of trouble trying to chart the decreasing cables in a readable way.
Size: large adult size (fits up to a 23”/57.5 cm head)
Gauge: in K2,P2 ribbing, slightly stretched horizontally, 28 sts & 26 rnds = 4”/10 cm
- 180 yds/165 m worsted weight wool (sample pictured was knit in Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Worsted (100% wool; 110 yds/101 m = 50g) in “celestial”)
- size 4.5mm/US 7 needles for working in the rnd, or size needed to obtain gauge I used a set of dpns
- locking st marker(s): 1 for beginning of rnd and 3 others to mark chart repeats if you desire them
- cable needle
- tapestry needle (for weaving in ends)
- knitting in the round, small circumference
- short rows in ribbing (explained in the pattern)
- cable knitting
- decreases: knit 2 together (K2tog); purl 2 together (P2tog); & slip next stitch, knit next 2 stitches together, pass slipped stitch over (SK2P)
- decreasing cables (explained in the pattern)
Update: With all the important discussions about accessibility going on, I’m making it a priority to go back through my patterns and add low vision pdfs to them. I’m using the guidelines set out by the Accessible Patterns group. A new Low Vision pdf has been added to this pattern’s file. This new pdf includes: all black text, sans serif 22pt font, photo(s) captioned, pattern is left justified, and use of bold type in place of italics. All of the directions are fully written out line by line. The low vision file for this pattern is 350KB.
Won't you dance with me?