My parents went to the same high school, but didn’t really get to know each other until a number of years later, when Dad returned home from his tour in the Korean War. Back then the West Coast Swing was a big deal, and both my parents frequently ended up at the same YMCA to dance on Friday and Saturday nights. When I was growing up Dad’s eyes would get all soft, when he reminisced about how Mom made every guy in the room feel like he could really dance. She could follow anyone, and make him look good on the dance floor while she did it—something I wish she’d passed on to me! The stitch pattern swings back and forth around the wearer’s neck reminding me of the West Coast Swing dance style, and its dance step called the Basket Whip.
This cowl is knitted in the round. Loose cast on and bind off edges are necessary so that the edges will make attractive points when blocked.
- Yarn: Sport weight, 300 [475, 825, 1175] yards.
- Model: Classic Elite Fresco in Ashley Blue.
- Gauge: 15 sts and 21 rows to 4 inches in lace pattern.
- Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm).
- Finished size: 32 x 19, 38.5 x 19 [44.75 x 24, 64 x 24] inches.
- Stitch instructions: Charted and written.