DESCRIPTIONLiisi's socks were inspired by an old Finnish carol in which brother Juhani and sister Liisi are woken up early on a frosty Christmas Eve morning for a sleigh ride to the church.
Liisi’s socks are cabled knee-high socks with an intricate vine-and-bobbles cable running from toe to cuff. The central cable is flanked by narrower ones on the sides. Calf shaping is hidden inside a wide garter-stitch panel on the back of the leg. The socks are finished in a long, fold-over cuff made in twisted ribbing.
Liisi’s socks are knit from the toe up in DK-weight sock yarn. The socks come in three sizes and can be adjusted for fit within the pattern. You can also knit the socks to mid-calf length and skip the calf shaping.
Both written and charted instructions are given for the cable pattern.
Share your project with the hashtags #liisisocks and #talviknits.
- S [M, L]
- 46 [50, 54] s
- Shoe size approx. EU 38/39 [40/41, 43/44] / US 6½–7½ [8–8½, 10–11]
- Foot circumference: approx. 20 [21.5, 23.5] cm / 7¾ [8½, 9¼]"
- Foot length: approx. 22.5 [23.5, 26] cm / 8¾ [9¼, 10¼]" or adjustable within pattern
- Mid-calf leg length from top of heel flap: approx. 12.5–15 [12.5–15, 17–19.5] cm / 5–6 [5–6, 6¾–7½]" or adjustable within pattern
- Knee-high leg length from top of heel flap: approx. 30–32.5 [30–32.5, 34.5–37] cm / 12–12¾ [12–12¾, 13¾–14½]" or adjustable within pattern
- Calf circumference in knee-high socks: approx. 28 [30, 31] cm / 11 [11¾, 12¼]" or adjustable
Choose a size with approx. 10% of negative ease.
- Jalovilla Pässi (85% wool, 15% nylon, 230 m/100 g, 252 yd/3.53 oz), 1 [2, 2] skeins for mid-calf socks or 3 skeins for knee-high socks
- Or approx. 230 [270, 300] m / 250 [290, 350] yd of DK-weight sock yarn for mid-calf socks
- Or approx. 480 [500, 540] m / 530 [550, 590] yd of DK-weight sock yarn for knee-high socks
The sample pair is knit in size M in a maroon colorway.
- 3.25 mm / US #3 double-pointed or circular needle(s) for stockinette and cable pattern (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.00 mm / US #2½ double-pointed or circular needle(s) for twisted ribbing
- 2 cable needles (optional)
- 2 stitch markers for the knee-high socks
- Darning needle