DESCRIPTIONHibernia was the name given by the ancient Romans to the island of Ireland, the land of winter. The Hibernia Quartet is a set of four DK-weight accessories rife with cables and ancient lore. The focal point of each of the patterns is an interlocking cable with a moss stitch center.
Hibernia Headband is worked sideways in flat starting with a provisional cast-on. At the center front the two halves meet in a twist and the central cable continues as a mirror image. The two ends of the headband are joined together seamlessly at the back of the head. The headband comes in two sizes; additional instructions are offered to adjust the size to your liking and measurements.
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for all cable patterns.
Share your project on Instagram with the photos #hiberniaheadband and #talviknits.
Add Hibernia Headband, Hibernia Mittens, Hibernia Beanie, and Hibernia Mitts in your cart and get 15% off your entire order!
- Small [Large]
- To fit head circumference approx. 51–56 [56–61] cm / 20¼–22 [22–24]”
- Finished circumference: approx. 49  cm / 19¼ ” or adjustable
- Width: approx. 10 cm / 4”
- Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 240 m/100 g, 262 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma Single DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 250 m/100 g, 273 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or approx. 75  m / 80  yd of DK to worsted-weight yarn
- 4.0 mm / US #6 circular or straight needle(s) for the cable pattern (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US #4 circular or straight needle(s) for ribbing
- Cable needle (optional)
- Darning needle
- Waste yarn, extra cable, or circular needle for provisional cast-on (optional)
- 21 sts × 32 rows = 10 cm / 4” in cable pattern on larger needles, blocked
- 30 sts × 33 rows = 10 cm / 4” in ribbing on smaller needles, unstretched
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: provisional cast-on, working flat, cables, grafting or three-needle bind-off. Ability to read charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for all cable patterns.
Yarn for this pattern was generously provided by Kässäkerho Pom Pom.