DESCRIPTIONStarvine Mitts are a pair of fingerless mitts that feature a delicate vine motif in colorwork. The colorwork is easy to knit as it doesn’t have long floats but the colorwork chart requires a fair bit of concentration.
The mitts are worked from the cuff up in two colors of fingering-weight yarn. A long twisted-rib cuff ensures the mitts fit snugly around the wrist. Stitches are increased for the colorwork part to accommodate for the tighter fabric. The mitts have gusseted thumbs, and the vine colorwork pattern is incorporated into the gusset increases. The mitts are finished with twisted rib on top.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. The stranded colorwork pattern is charted only. Right and left mitts are mirror images of each other, and the pattern includes separate charts for each hand.
Share your project with the hashtags #starvinemitts and #talviknits.
- Women’s S (64 sts)
- Palm circumference: approx. 20 cm / 8"
- Length from top to wrist: approx. 21 cm / 8¼"
YarnTukuwool Fingering (100% wool, 195 m/50 g), 2 colors
- Main color (MC): H30 Haave, 1 skein
- Contrasting color (CC): H22 Valo, 1 skein
- MC: approx. 160 m / 180 yd
- CC: approx. 50 m / 60 yd
- 2.5 mm / US #1½ DPNs or circular needle(s) for working small circumferences in the round (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 2 stitch markers
- Stitch holder (e.g., a piece of scrap yarn or safety pin) for thumb stitches
- Darning needle
- Yarn guide (optional)