Sunset Slouch is an intricate lace hat that features the same undulating stitch pattern as seen on the Golden Hour Cowl. This hat is knit with one strand of fingering-weight yarn and the other a fluffy lace-weight silk mohair. Two yarns with similar colors will let the lace pattern shine while a high-contrast pairing creates a dramatic look.
Sunset Slouch is knit in the round using short or long circular needles, starting with a bit of twisted ribbing. The pattern comes in two sizes (small or large) and two styles (beanie or slouch). The length can be further adjusted within the stitch pattern depending on the degree of slouch you prefer.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Instructions for the lace pattern are given both in written and charted format.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #sunsetslouch and #talviknits.
- Small [Large]
- To fit head circumference 53–55 [63–65] cm / 20¾–21¾ [24½–25½]" with approx. 2.5–5 cm / 1–2" of negative ease
- Circumference: approx. 50  cm / 19¾ [23½]" or adjustable within pattern
- Beanie style, length from brim to crown: approx. 20.5 cm / 8"
- Slouchy style, length from brim to crown: approx. 25.5 cm / 10"
- Yarn A: smooth fingering-weight yarn, such as wool or wool/nylon blend, from approx. 115  m / 125  yd (beanie style) to 145  m / 160  yd (slouchy style)
- Yarn B: fluffy lace-weight yarn, such as mohair, mohair/silk, or brushed alpaca, from approx. 115  m / 125  yd (beanie style) to 145  m / 160  yd (slouchy style)
The samples were knit with:
- Yarn A: handspun (100% BFL, 261 m/95 g, 285 yd/3.3 oz), approx. 42 g
- Yarn B: Wool Me Once Fibers Kid Mohair Silk (72% kid mohair, 28% silk, 420 m/50 g, 459 yd/1.76 oz), 1 skein in the colorway Art Passionné
- Yarn A: Retrosaria Mondim (100% non-superwash wool, 385 m/100 g, 421 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #110
- Yarn B: Sandnes Garn Tynn Silk Mohair (57% mohair, 28% silk, 15% wool, 212 m/25 g, 232 yd/0.88 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #4310
- Yarn A: Retrosaria Mondim (100% non-superwash wool, 385 m/100 g, 421 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #211
- Yarn B: Filcolana Tilia (70% mohair, 30% silk, 210 m/25 g, 230 yd/0.88 oz), 1 skein in the colorway #136 mustard
- 5.0 mm / US #8 short circular needle (40 cm / 16”) for lace (or size to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US #4 short circular needle for twisted ribbing
- Or long (80–100 cm / 32–40") circular needle(s) in the same sizes for working in magic loop or with two needles
- One stitch marker
- Cable needle (optional)
- Darning needle
- 20 sts × 24 rnds = 10 cm / 4” in Hourglass Lace on larger needles with both yarns held together, blocked
- 25 sts × 30 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in twisted ribbing on smaller needles with both yarns held together, blocked