Pay what you want: (minimum €5.50)
DESCRIPTIONHibernia was the name given by the ancient Romans to the island of Ireland, the land of winter. The Hibernia Quartet is a set of four DK-weight accessories rife with cables and ancient lore. The focal point of each of the patterns is an interlocking cable with a moss stitch center.
Hibernia Beanie is worked bottom up from the ribbed brim to the crown. The beanie can be worn two ways: watch cap style with the long ribbing folded up along a hidden line or with the brim turned down for super slouch. This comfortable hat comes in two sizes and is finished with an optional pom pom on top.
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for all cable patterns.
Share your project on Instagram with the photos #hiberniabeanie and #talviknits.
- Small [Large]
- To fit head circumference approx. 52–54 [62–65] cm / 20¼–21¼ [24½–25½]”
- Finished circumference: approx. 49  cm / 19¼ [23½]”
- Length with brim folded up: approx. 20  cm / 8 [9¾]”
- Length with brim down: 26  cm / 10¼ [12½]”
- Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 240 m/100 g, 262 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or Kässäkerho Pom Pom Suoma Single DK (100% Finnsheep wool, 250 m/100 g, 273 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein
- Or approx. 155  m / 170  yd of DK to worsted-weight yarn
- Additional 10 g or 25 m / 30 yd for an optional pom pom
- 4.0 mm / US #6 short (40 cm / 16”) circular needle for the cable pattern (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US #4 short circular needle for ribbing
- Or long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle in the same sizes for working in magic loop
- Cable needle (optional)
- Darning needle
- 1 stitch marker
- 21 sts × 32 rows = 10 cm / 4” in cable pattern on larger needles, blocked
- 30 sts × 33 rows = 10 cm / 4” in ribbing on smaller needles, unstretched
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: long-tail cast-on, working in the round, and cables. Ability to read charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for all cable patterns.
Yarn for this pattern was generously provided by Kässäkerho Pom Pom.