Every Day I'm Ruffling - Shawl Pattern PDF
Get your flirt on with this fanciful shawl inspired by the ruffled and frilled fashions of the 80’s. Worked in two sections, the body is knit from side to side with eyelets winking playfully amidst the smooth stockinette. Stitches are then picked up along the edge of the crescent, with increases worked to build up a dramatic ruffle. To get the right amount of flounce, the border section is worked with larger needles to create an air of fancy free, breezy stitches full of airiness and drape. A video tutorial on how to join the ruffled border is linked in the pattern.
Worked in double knit yarn, you’ll find it to be perfect for layering - light yet cozy. Playful yet practical. The body will look best in a solid yarn, but the ruffle lets you show off your personality with a bold or variegated colorway. A 100g skein of contrasting yarn will yield a sweet frill; 150 g will produce the flamboyant flourish shown here. Whether you rock big 80’s hair to go with your shawl is up to you, but rest assured – every day that you wear this shawl, you will be ruffling!
Skills / Techniques used: Knit, purl, slipped stitches, increases, decreases
Sizes: One size
Measurements: The finished blocked item measures 82” (208cm) wingspan and:
- 19” (48cm) depth at the longest part with a shallow ruffle
- 22” (56cm) depth at the longest part with a deep ruffle (as shown)
- Yarn A - 100g / 3.5oz, 245yds / 224m DK yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is West Yorkshire Spinners Illustrious – 70% Falkland Wool / 30% British Alpaca in the colour Old Lace
- Yarn B - DK yarn. The yarn used in the pattern is West Yorkshire Spinners Illustrious – 70% Falkland Wool / 30% British Alpaca in the colour Heather
- Shallow Ruffle: 100g / 3.5oz, 245yds / 224m
- Deep Ruffle: 150g / 5.3oz, 368yds / 336m
- 1 x US size 8 (5mm) 32” - 40” (80 - 100cm) circular needle
- 1 x US size 10 (6mm) 32” - 40” (80 - 100cm) circular needle – or needle 2 sizes larger than first needle
- Tapestry needle for weaving the ends in