Prohibition went from 1920 through 1933, but didn’t quite put the crimp in everyone’s style that was expected. Back room establishments opened where a password was required for entry, and police raids would break up the party that would otherwise have lasted well into the next morning. No password is required for this speakeasy, though… Simply knit one up for yourself, and wear on your next tryst.
Estonian nupps and cluster stitches are combined with simple diamond shapes to create this shawl. Shawl is worked in two pieces, each worked from the outer edge in toward the center, and grafted together to preserve the beauty of the border.
- Yarn: lace weight; 525 [675, 975, 1100] yards.
- Model: Teresa Ruch Designs Tencel 10/2 in Sage in largest size with one hank of yarn and 40 yards remaining; 1040 yards in 113 grams; 100% Tencel.
- Gauge: 26 sts and 27 rows to 4 inches in lace stitch, blocked.
- Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) for gauge, and US 6 (4 mm) for casting on.
- Finished size: 10.5 x 69 [15 x 63, 19.25 x 69, 23.5 x 63] inches.
- Stitch instructions: Charted and written.