Very much inspired by the yarns I knit the sample in, Kodachrome is a hat playing with texture and colour to create something fresh, cosy, and personal. Stick with one colour for an understated piece with subtle interest, go bold for a riot of colour and fluff, or anything in between!
Knit in the Black Stag Yarn Soulmate collection of superwash merino and baby suri alpaca silk, Kodachrome is a luxurious knit that's both elegant and fun.
About This Pattern
- written instructions
- charted instructions
- worked in the round
- screen reader and print challenged accessible version
- Yarn A: 111 - 256 yards (101 - 234 meters) light fingering yarn
- Yarn B: 71 - 189 yards (65 - 173 meters) laceweight suri or mohair yarn
- 2.5mm needles (or size needed for gauge) suitable for working in the round
- 2mm needles (or size 0.5mm smaller than above) suitable for working in the round
- stitch marker (optional) to note the beginning of the round
- your preferred blocking equipment
- pom pom (optional)
SizingKodachrome comes in six sizes: (toddler, child, teen) [adult, adult large, adult xl]. It is designed with 2" / 5cm negative ease in the body, and much more at the brim.
Toddler: 14" / 36cm circumference, 10.25" / 26 cm high
Child: 16" / 41cm circumference, 11.25" / 28 cm high
Teen: 18" / 46 cm circumference, 12.25" / 31 cm high
Adult: 20" / 51 cm circumference, 13" / 33 cm high
Adult Large: 22" / 56 cm circumference, 14" / 35 cm high
Adult XL: 24" / 61 cm circumference, 14.75" / 37 cm high
Instructions for adjusting the height are included.
Accessible VersionThe accessible version of this pattern is included with your download. It has been formatted to suit low vision / print challenged knitters and to be compatible with screen readers.
Specifically, the pattern has:
- 24 point sans-serif font (Arial) throughout
- Fully saturated black text on white background
- Single column layout
- Left-aligned text
- No italics
- No header or footer – just page numbers (bottom left)
- Consistent use of heading tags for easy navigation
- Internal links to aid navigation
- All instructions written out in text without reliance on diagrams or charts
- All words written out in full (i.e. no abbreviations)
- No bulleted lists
- No tables
All of my patterns have been tested and tech edited, and include details of how to contact me should you need pattern support.
Please note that patterns are for personal use only. If you would like to use one of my patterns to make items to sell or for teaching a class, please get in touch. Yarn store owners are very welcome to make samples.