5 Best Wix Alternatives That Are Better and Cheaper (Updated for 2023)
Last updated: December 8, 2022
If you’re on the hunt for a website builder that is more affordable but equally (if not more) powerful than Wix, you’ve come to the right place. In this post, we’ll highlight five of the best Wix alternatives that are cost-effective and will enable you to create a stunning website of your dreams. We’ll also be covering the eCommerce functionalities of these platforms if you intend to use your website as an online store.
Here are our top pick of the best Wix alternatives that are more powerful and affordable:
What is Wix used for?
Wix is a popular website builder that provides users with an easy drag and drop editor you need to create a stunning website. With Wix, you can choose from a variety of templates and designs, or you can start from scratch and build your own site. Wix also includes a range of features that make it easy to add content, promote your site, and connect with visitors. The platform is more widely known for users who want to create a personal blog or a professional website as opposed to eCommerce websites.
How Much Does Wix Charge?
Wix offers different pricing plans depending on the features and customization options you need.
Wix also offers a free plan, but your website will be plastered in Wix ads and this will make your website look significantly unprofessional (not to mention it’s quite annoying for you and your website visitors). Beyond that, here are all the paid plans that are available from Wix.
Wix Website Plans (no eCommerce functionalities):
- Combo: $16/month
- Unlimited: $27/month
- Pro: $27/month
- VIP: $45/month
Business and eCommerce Plans (best for eCommerce stores):
- Business Basic: $27/month
- Business Unlimited: $32/month
- Business VIP: $59/month
Overall, Wix is not the cheapest option available, but fret not, there are tons of alternatives that are better than Wix.
5 Best Wix Alternatives That Are Better and Cheaper
Creating a powerful website with Payhip is easy and free! The platform is beginner friendly with no technical or design skills required. Just like Wix, Payhip provides a drag and drop website editor to create any website you can imagine. Additionally, the platform already comes with eCommerce tools where you can sell any types of product including digital downloads, online courses, coaching, memberships, or physical products.
Get ready for the internet’s best-kept secret: If you’re only interested in creating a static website for your portfolio (i.e. you don’t need to accept transactions), then creating your beautiful website on Payhip is 100% free as Payhip only charges when you publish product listings and/or receive orders or transactions.
Payhip is the best Wix alternative overall in terms of value and affordability.
- Free-forever: No monthly fees + 5% fees per sale (excluding shipping fees)
- Plus: $29 per month fees + 2% fees per sale
- Pro: $99 per month fees (no other fees per sale)
With Payhip’s forever free plan you’ll only get charged 5% fees when you get orders i.e. if your website doesn’t have any sales or orders, you won’t be paying anything. Unlike Wix, you’ll still be able to keep your beautiful website for free without any annoying ads.
If you’re an online store and are still adamant about using Wix as your main website, you can embed Payhip into your Wix website, making it fully functional as an online store with eCommerce tools.
- Perfect for anyone who wants to own a beautiful website without breaking the bank because Payhip is the most affordable alternative to Wix (i.e. free) that still provides a very similar drag and drop website editor without the annoying Wix ads
- Free domain (you can also connect a custom domain)
- User friendly free website builder + premade website templates
- Integration with Paypal and Stripe (instant payouts)
- Unlimited product count and revenue
- Built-in eCommerce tools so you can sell a range of product types such as online courses, digital downloads, coaching, subscriptions or memberships, and physical products
- Marketing features like referral system, affiliate program, upselling, cross-selling, coupon codes, email marketing, and more
- If you own an online store, note that Payhip’s features are more geared toward selling digital products. If you’re a retail online store with physical products, bear in mind that there is no automatic shipping label integration on Payhip
- No multi-account functionalities. You’ll have one website or storefront per email
- You won’t find an app store like you would on Wix. Payhip has an integration with Zapier (with more than 5000+ apps) and all the eCommerce features are built into the platform
WordPress.org is one of the most popular Wix alternatives and website building platforms – and for good reason! It’s incredibly versatile and can be used for everything from simple blogs to complex eCommerce websites. And unlike Wix, which charges monthly subscription fees, WordPress is completely free to use! That makes it a great option if you’re on a tight budget.
But…here’s a big caveat. You’ll most likely need to possess some coding skills in order to be able to build a powerful website exactly the way you want. This is not a beginner friendly alternative to Wix.
WordPress.org is an open-source platform to build websites for free. Unlike WordPress.com (yes, wordpress.org and wordpress.com are two different platforms), you will have to pay for a custom domain name. You’ll most likely pay additional fees for plugins and themes to make your website look exactly the way you want.
- Unlimited design possibilities if you possess some coding knowledge, particularly in HTML and CSS
- An extensive number of themes and plugins are available online
- In comparison to Wix which provides a super simple drag and drop website builder, you might find WordPress.org’s website builder not as beginner friendly
- Requires quite a bit of work to manage all aspects of your website including hosting, security, and more
Squarespace is a website builder that offers users a wide range of features and templates to choose from to create beautiful websites. Squarespace is a great option for those who are looking for an alternative to Wix.
Prices for Squarespace start at $23 per month for the Personal plan with several other paid plans leading to $65 per month for the Advanced Commerce tier. The personal plan has no eCommerce tools. Squarespace provides a 14 day free trial so you can try out the platform yourself.
If you’re planning to use Squarespace as an online store, bear in mind that Squarespace has a paid plan that charges transaction fees, so be mindful of the additional fees you’ll need to pay.
- Drag and drop store builder that is similar to Wix
- Ecommerce tools offered by Squarespace are decent
- Squarespace’s unlimited storage space makes it possible for you to upload tons of heavy videos and images without worrying about space. This is especially useful for creative entrepreneurs
- Unlike Wix, Squarespace does not offer a free plan (free trial is available)
- While Squarespace’s website templates are decent, Wix is the clear winner when it comes providing an extensive number of free premade websites that you can choose from
Another popular Wix alternative is Ecwid, which is a shopping cart and storefront solution that enables businesses to sell online. It provides everything you need to start and run an online store, including a website builder, payment processing, and shipping options. Ecwid also integrates with Facebook and other social media platforms so you can market your products to a wider audience.
- Free: $0 per month with up to 10 products
- Venture: $19 per month with up to 100 products
- Business: $39 per month with up to 2,500 products
- Unlimited: $99 per month with an unlimited number of products
There are other feature differences between the paid plans, but we focused solely on the number of product listings available per plan.
- Similar to Wix, Ecwid also provides a free plan. However, since Ecwid is more geared towards eCommerce stores, Ecwid’s free plan’s limitation is in the number of product listings
- Provides a way for you to inject eCommerce features into your existing website
- Ecwid’s free plan doesn’t provide any SEO features you need to get your website to rank on search engines
- Similar to Wix, Ecwid also has an app store, but the number of apps on Wix far exceeds Ecwid’s
- Given that Ecwid focuses more on providing eCommerce tools, it loses significantly on the website builder aspect including a lack of website template choices
BigCommerce is a popular Wix alternative that provides a lot of scalability for online stores. BigCommerce is more widely known for its advanced features for selling online. While it may not be a great alternative to Wix to build a website for portfolios and such, their eCommerce tools are worth exploring.
BigCommerce provides a 15-day free trial.
- Standard: $29.95 per month
- Plus: $79.95 per month
- Pro: $299.95 per month
- No transaction fees. Many users love this aspect of BigCommerce, but it won’t really affect you if you’re a small business with minimal order traffic
- BigCommerce is great for multi-channel eCommerce stores e.g. if you’re selling on social media, marketplaces, as well as on your own website
- Unlimited product listings
- BigCommerce impose revenue limits on their paid plans, which means you’ll naturally have to pay more money as your store grows (makes sense, but not as advantageous as other platforms like Payhip)
- Similar to Ecwid, BigCommerce does not have a large bank of website themes. Not to mention there is a limited number of free themes available
- BigCommerce’s website builder could also use some improvements in terms of its ease of use
Final Thoughts – Finding The Best Alternative to Wix
If you’re looking for an affordable alternative to Wix that doesn’t sacrifice quality or features, many of the platforms listed above would be a great choice! I recommend taking advantage of the free plans available to explore which platforms suit your needs the most.
Have you used any of the platforms mentioned above? We would love to hear your thoughts on these Wix alternatives in the comments below!
And if you’re ready to create a website and start your own online store, sign up for a free account on Payhip— it takes less than 5 minutes to get set up.
I’m a newbie to ebook publishing.
Can you please explain to me if I use Payhip, what advantage accrues in terms of helping me to market my product. Some other platforms will sell my ebooks through Amazon, Barnes & Noble which is a big plus.
Hi Pat, Payhip only provides the technology, payment platform, product management, and analytics at this time. However, we get asked a lot about having a marketplace and that may be something we may eventually build in the future. 🙂
Leave a Comment