Smoke and Mirrors
DESCRIPTIONSmoke and Mirrors is an asymmetrical triangle-shaped shawl knit in three colors. Simple stitch patterns and textures play off of each other in this shawl made of straightforward visual elements that draw your attention every which way like a magician performing an illusion.
Pick two colors of smooth fingering-weight yarn: one for the main event and the other for a striking color pop. A complementary color in a fuzzy lace weight rounds out the trio.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Instructions for the lace pattern are presented both in charted as well as in row-by-row written format whereas instructions for the one-row stripes, two-color brioche, corrugated ribbing, and color blocks are given only in written format.
Smoke and Mirrors was originally is released as a five-part mystery shawl knitalong in April 2022.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #smokeandmirrorsmkal and #talviknits.
- Wingspan: approx. 215 cm / 85"
- Depth: approx. 70 cm / 27"
- Yarn A: Louhittaren Luola Luonnotar (100% superwash merino, 400 m/100 g, 444 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway Suru
- Yarn B: Louhittaren Luola Luonnotar (100% superwash merino, 400 m/100 g, 444 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway Valaan laulu
- Yarn C: Louhittaren Luola Röyhetyinen (72% kid mohair, 28% silk, 420 m/50 g, 464 yd/1.76 oz), 1 skein in the colorway Platina
- Yarn A: Smooth fingering-weight yarn, such as wool, wool/silk, or wool/nylon blend, approx. 400 m / 440 yd
- Yarn B: Smooth fingering-weight yarn, such as wool, wool/silk, or wool/nylon blend, approx. 320 m / 350 yd
- Yarn C: Fluffy lace-weight yarn, such as mohair, silk/mohair blend, or brushed alpaca, approx. 340 m / 370 yd
- Main needle: 3.5 mm / US #4 long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle or size needed to obtain gauge
- Smaller needle: 3.0 mm / US #2½ long circular needle or 0.5–1.0 mm / 1–2 sizes down from your main needle
- Larger needle: 4.0 mm / US #6 long circular needle or 0.5–1.0 mm / 1–2 sizes up from your main needle
- Spare needle: 2.25–2.5 mm / US #1–1½ very long (100–150 cm / 40–60") circular needle or considerably smaller than your main needle
- 1 removable stitch marker
- Darning needle
- 24 sts × 34 rows = 10 cm / 4” in stockinette using Yarn A and the main needle, blocked
- 20 sts × 50 rows = 10 cm / 4" in two-color brioche using Yarns A and C and the smaller needle, blocked
- 18 sts × 26 rows = 10 cm / 4" in lace using Yarn C and the larger needle, blocked