Enter the Dragon
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
DESCRIPTIONThis feisty three-color shawl was inspired by the pitaya or dragon fruit. I was fascinated by the contrast of the black-and-white texture of the fruit itself against the vibrant, pink rind. How can something like this occur naturally?
Enter the Dragon is a shallow triangle-shaped shawl made with garter stitch and easy mosaic slip stitches. The intriguing border is a ribbed lace pattern filled with tiny leaves, resembling the spiked scales of the fruit.
The shawl comes in two sizes, Small and Large, and can also be knit with two instead of three colors. Release your inner dragon!
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Only written instructions are given for the mosaic body, both written and charted instructions for the lace border.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #enterthedragonshawl and #talviknits.
- Small [Large]
- Wingspan: approx. 160  cm / 63 [86½]"
- Depth: approx. 40  cm / 15¾ [23½]"
YarnIsager Alpaca 2 (50% alpaca, 50% merino, 250 m/50 g, 273 yd/1.76 oz), 3 colors
- Color A: 1  skeins in the colorway #0 (natural)
- Color B: 1 skein in the colorway #30 (black)
- Color C: 1  skeins in the colorway #17 (fuchsia)
- Color A (main color): approx. 250  m / 270  yd
- Color B (mosaic): approx. 55  m / 60  yd
- Color C (lace border): approx. 240  m / 265  yd
- 3.5 mm / US #4 long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US E/4 crochet hook and spare yarn for provisional cast-on (optional)
- Spare needle for provisional cast-on (optional)
- 1 stitch marker
- Darning needle
GAUGE20 sts × 30 rows (15 garter ridges) = 10 cm / 4" in garter stitch, blocked
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: garter tab cast-on, slipped stitches, lace, and elastic bind-off. The pattern assumes the ability to work a provisional cast-on; references are given for a few alternatives.
Ability to work lace from a chart is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the lace pattern.