The Halloween Mystery Mittens are back! This year’s pair of stranded colorwork mittens was inspired by a psychological thriller that portrays a character’s descent into madness… or is it all just a deceitfully schemed plot?
Scenes from this classic movie by a master director are depicted in these colorwork mittens. Pick two colors of (light) fingering-weight yarn with a good amount of contrast between them. Black and white is a classic combination but you don’t have to stick with neutrals.
The pattern comes in three sizes: 66, 70, or 74 sts. Right and left mittens are worked in parallel with separate colorwork charts for each one. The pattern contains long floats; the Ladderback Jackquard technique is recommended but is not essential.This pair of mystery colorwork mittens is released in nine clues starting October 1, 2020.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #halloweenmysterymittens
YOUR DONATION WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
All proceeds are donated to IBE, the International Bureau for Epilepsy
New clues come out every Monday and Thursday in October 2020.
- Clue #1: Thu, October 1 — approx. 9% of the total pair
- Clue #2: Mon, October 5 — 12%
- Clue #3: Thu, October 8 — 12%
- Clue #4: Mon, October 12 — 9%
- Clue #5: Thu, October 15 — 9%
- Clue #6: Mon, October 19 — 13%
- Clue #7: Thu, October 22 — 13%
- Clue #8: Mon, October 26 — 13%
- Clue #9: Thu, October 29 — 8%
Tick the box "Send me product updates and offers via email"
to receive a notification when a new clue is out.
- Palm circumference: approx. 21.5 [22.5, 24] cm / 8½ [9, 9½]”
- Length from top to wrist: approx. 25.5 cm / 10”
Holst Garn Supersoft (100% wool, 287 m/50 g, 314 yd/1.76 oz), 2 colors, or
Holst Garn Noble (95% wool, 5% cashmere, 333 m/50 g, 364 yd/1.76 oz), 2 colors
- Main color (MC): 1 skein
- Contrasting color (CC): 1 skein
Or (light) fingering-weight yarn, 2 colors
- MC: approx. 155 [170, 185] m / 170 [185, 200] yd
- CC: approx. 155 [170, 185] m / 170 [185, 200] yd
Right and left mittens are worked in parallel so you will need to split your yarn or work from both ends of the skeins. You’ll also need two sets of needles.
- two sets of 2.25 mm / US #1 DPNs or circular needles for working small circumferences in the round (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Yarn guide or Norwegian knitting thimble (optional)
- 4 stitch markers, 2 for each mitten
- Stitch holder (for example, waste yarn or safety pin) for thumb stitches
- Darning needle
Choose two colors with a good amount of contrast between them; solid or semi-solid yarns are ideal.
The motifs make more sense with a light MC and dark CC. The colors may be swapped but this creates a film negative effect.
SHARE, JOIN & WIN!
Throughout the KAL I'll be awarding free patterns to participants! There's three ways to play along:
The pattern uses the following techniques: working small circumferences in the round, ability to work stranded colorwork from a chart, color dominance, grafting, and whip stitch.
The pattern requires the ability for managing floats in colorwork; Ladderback Jacquard is recommended but references are given for a couple of alternatives.