Complete guide to word formation for IELTS (updated 2023 version)
This 48-page A4 digital PDF booklet gives you:
- a 28-day self-study programme of word-building activities
- 28+ comprehensive lists of common word formation patterns
- tips on irregular word forms that are often tested in IELTS
- tips on pronunciation changes in different word forms
- tips about spelling patterns
- examples taken from Reading and Listening Tests
- space for your own notes and development
- links to relevant blogs and practice
- sets of IELTS-related practice sentences for the most essential examples
- colour-coded images to help understanding and memorising
How will it help me?
Vocabulary is the main reason why people get stuck below Band 7.
Many IELTS candidates just learn list of words but don't know how to use them.
They don't know the different and uncommon forms that they need for Band 7, or how to pronounce and spell them, which means they will limit their range and flexibility (Band 7 criteria) and keep them at Band 6 or below.
Look at the Band Descriptors for Band 8 Writing:
• uses a wide range of vocabulary fluently and flexibly to convey precise meanings
• skilfully uses uncommon lexical items
• produces rare errors in spelling and/or word formation
I guarantee that you will learn something new and useful on every single page of this planner, and over the course of 28 days, I am confident that you will improve your IELTS Vocabulary score by at least 1 Band when you start to use the new words to show improved flexibility and range in your Speaking and Writing.
Your exposure to high-level word forms, will also dramatically improve your Listening and Reading Comprehension skills.
Use the booklet in conjunction with the 100 most common gapfill answers booklet and the IELTS Vocabulary Booster Planner as part of your IELTS vocabulary-building.
There is space to add any extra words that you find during your preparation.
How is this list different from what I can find for free online?
You can find anything and everything for free online. But it will take you a long time to select what's important and what's right for IELTS.
I have done all of that for you in this handy guide that you can print off, write on, use to test yourself and carry around with you.
What can I do with this booklet?
There are 5 main types of activities:
- Gapfill IELTS-related sentences for each irregular form e.g. I believe that the school day should be ____________ (simple meaning = make it longer)
- Revising irregular forms by covering the columns e.g. long - __________ (n) - _____________ (vb)
- Applying your knowledge to Reading/Listening exercises e.g. the lengthening summer season = the summer lasts ____________ than it used to.
- Irregular pronunciation patterns e.g. anxious - anxiety
- Testing yourself on spelling patterns - you will need to do this using your own notebook.
The main aim of the booklet is to save you time because I have put together the lists of difficult words.
It does mean that you have to put in the work in - this will bring more benefits in the long term.
Please note that this is a digital PDF and it does NOT include any video or audio lessons (they are available in the Members Academy).
Also, I am unable to give refunds once the planner has been downloaded.
However, please do contact me via my website if you have any questions.