LILLIPUT - Pattern for a mini backpack with internal frame
Sassy or classy, shabby or chic or just plain cute - LILLIPUT is a Lilliputian version of our regular-sized Retreat Backpack. Use an 8” (20 cm) or a 6” (15 cm) internal frame to get two different looks.
Finished Size: 9”W x 10”H x 4”D (23 cm L x 25.4 cm H x 10 cm W)
- A top that opens wide and stays that way so that you can get to all your stuff
- Back has a top handle, adjustable shoulder straps, and ring tabs
- Front has a top handle and a vertical, zippered pocket
- Ends of handles and straps are finished with a decorative cover tab made of contrasting, raw-edge vinyl, leather, Kraft-tex, or cork
- Inside has a false-piped, divided slip pocket suitable for phone and pen, a secure zippered pocket, and a key tether
- Use 3/4” (19 mm) webbing for the straps and handles
- Use Emmaline Bags internal A or D Frame or similar 8” x 2” (20 cm x 5 cm) or 6” x 2-1/2” (15 cm x 6 cm) wire frame. The 8” frame will result in a square profile and a narrow opening. The 6” frame will result in a gentler shape with a slight taper at the top and will open wide. See the photos for examples of the difference.
- Optional decorative cover strip for straps and/or handles
- Optional zippered strap
- Optional contrasting base
- Cutting chart for measured pattern pieces and detailed placement diagrams
- Pattern pieces for main body and stablizer
- Link to Rapidsizer to get a pdf of each of other measured pieces if you prefer paper pattern to measurements
- Enough detail for the beginning bag maker
- Suggestions for dressing up the webbing to go less casual,
- Optional zippered strap assembly
- Optional contrasting base
- All construction is suitable for a domestic sewing machine.
Exterior - 1/2 yard (50 cm) of 42” (107 cm) wide light- to medium-weight fabric, vinyl, cork, canvas or 2 fat quarters.
Lining - 2/3 yard (0.6 m) quilting-weight cotton, 42” (107 cm) wide
- 2 yards (1.8 m) of 20“ (51 cm) wide fusible woven interfacing (e.g., Pellon Shape Flex SF101)
- 1/2 yard (45 cm) Pellon 987F Fusible Fleece or 1 piece 13” x 28” (25 cm x 71 cm)
- Stabilizer - 1 piece - 3-3/4” x 9“ (9.5 cm x 23 cm) firm stabilizer (e.g., Peltex, plastic grid, core flute)
- Small piece of firm non-woven (Pellon 809) for zippered pocket facings
3 yards (2.8 m) 3/4” (19mm) webbing
4.5”x 3” (11.4 cm x 7.6 cm) scrap of vinyl, leather, Kraft-tex, cork or other non-woven
- 1 set - 8” x 2” (20 cm x 5 cm) OR 1 set of 6’ x 2-1/2” 1(5 cm x 6 cm) Internal Wire Frames. These are equivalent to Style A or Style D-frames found at www.emmalinebags.com
- Short piece of piping cord, about 8” (20 cm)
- 2 - 3/4” (19mm) rectangular rings
- 2 - 3/4” (19mm) rectangular sliders
- 4 - 1/2” (1.9 cm) bag feet
- 1/2” (1.25 cm) swivel hook for key tether
- 16” (41 cm) of #4.5 or 5 coil zipper tape with one or two sliders for top closure
- 8” (20cm) of #4.5 or 5 coil zipper tape with slider for front exterior zippered pocket
- 8”(20 cm) of #3 coil zipper tape with slider for inside pocket. NOTE: If you prefer to use prepared zippers use 6” (15 cm) zippers for the zippered pockets and a 16” (38 cm) zipper for the top closure.
Optional - 12 quick or double cap rivets for handles, straps, zipper tabs, and ring tabs
Optional - 2 zipper tips to replace non-woven ZIPPER TABS.
For optional zippered straps - 15” (40 cm) #4.5 or #5 zipper tape or finished zipper of equivalent length plus extra cover material such as vinyl, leather, or cork.
Marking chalk or erasable pen. Check to ensure marks will erase from your fabric choice
Pins and/or clips
Lighter or wood burning tool for sealing webbing and zipper tape
Plain white eraser, craft knife
Pressing tools such as ham or sleeve board, spray starch