How to Sell Cross Stitch Patterns Online for Free [Ultimate Guide]
Last updated: February 10, 2023
Selling cross stitch patterns can be a fun and creative endeavor, giving crafters from all backgrounds a chance to monetize their creative skills and share their cross stitch creations with the world.
In this article, we’ll go over the step-by-step guide on how you can get started on making and selling cross stitch patterns online for free.
Here’s a quick list of things we’ll cover:
- What are cross stitch patterns?
- Benefits of selling cross stitch patterns online
- Where to sell cross stitch patterns online
- How to sell cross stitch patterns online (step by step guide)
What are Cross Stitch Patterns?
A cross stitch pattern consists of grids (cross stitch charts) with symbols and instructions on how to construct a cross stitch item. It generally includes a color chart, black and white symbol chart, legends for specific stitches and needlework, thread colors, stitch diagrams, and the finished design.
How to Make Cross Stitch Patterns
The first step in selling cross stitch patterns is to make or design your cross stitch patterns. For this, we recommend learning from other experienced cross stitch experts.
Here are a few guides that might help:
- How to make your own cross stitch pattern
- How to make cross stitch patterns
- How to use Excel as a cross stitch pattern maker
A helpful tip is to find pixel art online as your inspiration as pixel art is quite easy to translate into a cross stitch pattern.
Be sure to check out the patterns from other cross stitch pattern sellers as you’ll have a much better understanding of the expectation for cross stitch patterns that are ready for sale.
Benefits of Selling Cross Stitch Patterns Online
Selling cross stitch patterns online offers several benefits, including:
- Passive income: Since cross stitch patterns are almost always sold as a PDF or digital product, you can sell them over and over again without incurring additional costs of production or shipping. Say goodbye to the cost and time involved in printing out the physical pattern and shipping it. You don’t even have to be involved in the fulfillment process because platforms like Payhip can automatically send your cross stitch pattern files to your customers. Talk about earning money while you’re asleep!
- Worldwide reach: The internet provides a global marketplace, so you can reach customers from all over the world who might be interested in your cross stitch patterns. This can greatly expand your customer base and increase your sales potential.
- Flexibility: You have the flexibility to sell your patterns at any time, from anywhere. All you need is access to a computer and the internet. This is especially useful if you have a busy schedule or prefer to work from home.
- Brand establishment: Online sales platforms like Payhip offer tools for customizing your store to help you create a unique and personal brand.
- Easy payment processing: Online sales platforms make it easy to process payments and manage your finances. This can save you time and simplify your business operations. Platforms like Payhip also take care of UK & EU VAT on your behalf so you can expand your business internationally with a peace of mind.
Where to Sell Cross Stitch Patterns Online
Today, it is easier than ever to start your own online shop and sell your cross stitch patterns to people all over the world, without any budget! Given that cross stitch pattern is a digital product, you’ll need to sell them on platforms that will help you to automatically send your cross stitch pattern files to your customers immediately after purchase so you won’t have to be involved in the order fulfillment process.
You can sell cross stitch patterns from your own website using an eCommerce platform like Payhip (It’s completely free!). It provides simple no-code tools for you to create a beautiful and professional website. Some benefits include:
- It comes with built-in eCommerce features for you to sell digital products such as cross stitch patterns
- You can also sell other digital products as well including online courses if you ever want to teach cross stitch, coaching services, memberships (this is similar to Patreon so you can monetize your cross-stitch content with a recurring payment business model), and also physical products
- Payhip also provides features to help secure and prevent your cross stitch patterns from getting pirated with PDF stamping and download limits.
Other than selling from your own website, you can also sell cross stitch patterns on online marketplaces like LoveCrafts and Etsy. In fact, you can sell your cross stitch patterns on your own website and also on Etsy as there are no rules against selling on as many platforms as you can to increase your chances for sale!
The benefit of selling on Etsy is that it has a large customer base that might make it easier for you to find people who are interested in your cross stitch patterns. However, bear in mind that Etsy charges a higher fee than Payhip. Etsy also charges a listing fee of $0.20 that you’ll need to pay regardless of whether or not you’ve successfully sold any cross stitch patterns. The $0.20 fee will automatically renew every 4 months. It’s also much harder to make your product listing stand out on Etsy as the marketplace is quite saturated.
How to Sell Cross Stitch Patterns Online for Free
Here’s how you can get started selling your cross stitch patterns online:
1. Get your cross stitch pattern file ready for sale
First and foremost, you’ll need to make sure that your cross stitch pattern is already at the level of quality that is ready for sale. That means it’s in a non-editable PDF format, it can be printed on a regular A4 sized paper without blurring, it contains all the information that you need to include in your cross stitch patterns, and it looks somewhat professional. You can use free graphic design tools like Canva to help you create documents with a more professional look. If you’re a lot savvier in designing and creating beautifully formatted documents, you can also use Adobe InDesign.
2. Set up a free online store
Sign up on Payhip.com to create your own online store for free. Payhip is well-known for having a beginner-friendly and intuitive user interface. Additionally, the platform offers guided video tutorials to ensure your success in setting up your cross stitch pattern business.
Once you’ve signed up, set up your payout information so you can get paid as soon as orders start to roll into your store.
Payhip provides a fully hosted storefront, so you won’t have to worry about paying third party hosting providers. By default, your store URL will be in the following format: payhip.com/[yourstorenamehere]. However, you can also connect a custom domain e.g. www.JaneCrossStitch.com to your Payhip account as well to make your website feel more like your own.
3. Upload your cross stitch pattern as product listings
Upload your cross stitch pattern(s) to your Payhip dashboard. Write a detailed product description about your cross stitch pattern(s), such as size, colors used, skill level, etc. Include high resolution product photos that showcase your final product.
Set the appropriate selling prices for your cross stitch patterns. If you’re not quite sure how much to charge for your cross stitch patterns yet, you can set up a pay-what-you-want pricing.
4. Promote your cross stitch patterns
Once you have your shop set up and your products listed, it’s time to start promoting your cross stitch patterns online. There are many ways you can market your online store without having to spend a lot of money including:
- Social media: Use social media platforms such as TikTok, Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest to reach potential cross stitch enthusiasts. Share images of your finished projects and patterns, and engage with your followers by answering questions and responding to comments.
- Blog: Consider starting a blog to share interesting content about cross stitching. This can help establish you as an expert in the field and attract new customers. If you’re a little more savvy in content marketing, consider learning about proper keyword research so you can rank for your desired keywords on search engine results. You can establish a blog for free on your own website using Payhip.
- Cross stitch communities: Participate in online cross stitch communities and forums, such as Facebook groups and Reddit. Share your patterns, offer tips and advice, and engage with other members.
- Collaboration: Consider collaborating with other cross stitch blogs or cross stitch designers to create cross stitch patterns and promote each other’s work. This can help you reach new audiences and increase exposure for your patterns.
- Affiliate Marketing: Creating your own affiliate marketing program is another useful tool to help you promote and sell your cross stitch patterns. An affiliate network allows you to incentivize other people to help you promote your products in exchange for receiving a percentage of the successful sale.
- Email marketing: Incentivize your website visitors to sign up on your email list by offering free cross stitch patterns. Build an email list of customers and subscribers, and send regular updates and promotions for your patterns. This can help keep your business top-of-mind and drive sales.
Join over 130,000 sellers who have launched their online businesses with Payhip
5. (Optional) Design your website
While you can technically sell your cross stitch patterns online with just the 4 steps above, designing your website will provide your customers with a shopping experience that is unique to your brand aesthetic. It makes your brand more recognizable and thus makes it easier to build brand loyalty.
Payhip provides a comprehensive video tutorial so you can customize your online store to reflect your brand aesthetic. You will NOT need any technical skills or design skills to design your website, as Payhip’s store builder feature makes it easy for you to create a professional website with a simple drag and drop editor.
Can I make money selling cross-stitch patterns?
Yes, you can make money selling cross stitch patterns online. Selling your cross stitch patterns can be done through your own website for free using platforms like Payhip. You can also sell through various online marketplaces such as Etsy.
How do I sell my cross stitch patterns?
Start by creating your original cross stitch pattern design. You may not sell someone else’s designs without legal permission or license to do so as it may be considered copyright infringement. Upload your cross stitch patterns on Payhip where you can create a professional online store for free. You can then drive traffic to your online store by promoting it online.
Is selling cross stitch patterns profitable?
Selling cross stitch patterns can be profitable. It depends on a variety of factors such as the quality and uniqueness of your cross stitch patterns, the demand for your particular pattern niches, your target market, and your marketing and sales strategies.
Where is the best place to sell cross stitch patterns online?
The best place to sell cross stitch patterns online is through your own website, as you’ll have full control over your storefront and your customers’ experience. You can create an online store for free using Payhip.
Can you sell completed cross stitch projects?
Yes, you can sell your completed cross stitch after you’re done. In fact, you’ll most likely always have completed cross stitch projects lying around when you’re launching new patterns because you’ll need to test your own cross stitch designs. Online platforms like Facebook marketplace and eBay would be great for selling your finished products.
Can I make money with cross stitch patterns at craft fairs?
Yes, some vendors at craft fairs may specialize in selling printed cross stitch patterns. You can even sell cross stitch kits, which usually includes the printed cross stitch patterns, needles, thread, and everything else that you need to create the final cross stitch product. Selling cross stitch kits will most likely provide more profit margin as these kits are highly convenient for your customers who would be willing to pay a premium price and may not want to take the time to buy their own raw materials. Here are some examples of cross stitch kits from Mill Hill.
Selling cross stitch patterns online is a great way to explore new ways to monetize your creative cross stitch talents. With a little bit of time and effort, you can create a successful business from the comfort of your home.
Remember to stay up to date with the latest trends and techniques in cross stitch in order to stay ahead of the competition. Additionally, you should also consider investing in marketing and advertising to help spread the word about your cross stitch business.
Join over 130,000 creators who have successfully created their online businesses with Payhip. Sign up for a free account on Payhip to start your dream cross stitch business within less than 5 minutes.
If you’re keen to learn more about selling digital products and monetizing your creative talents, check out some of our other guides:
Thank you, Imelda. The information provided in this article is helpful.
Leave a Comment