How to Sell Notion Templates [Ultimate Guide in 2023]
Last updated: December 7, 2022
Do you have a knack for organization and are looking for ways to make some extra money from home?
If so, this blog post is for you! In this article, we will go over how to create Notion templates for various use cases, and how to sell Notion templates online to generate passive income. We will also provide you with some tips on how to make your creations stand out from the rest. So, whether you are a seasoned pro or just starting out, read on for all the details!
Here’s a quick list of things we’ll cover:
- What is Notion used for?
- What are Notion templates?
- Why you should sell Notion templates
- What type of Notion templates should you create
- How to create a Notion template from scratch
- How to sell Notion templates online
What is Notion Used For?
Notion is a productivity app where you can create workspaces built for endless number of use cases. Some of the most common use cases for Notion include project management, progress-tracking, moodboard, company wiki, and more.
What are Notion Templates?
Notion templates are pages (often sets of pages) that can include images, tables, databases, and much more, that are publicly shared and can be duplicated and customized to each person’s needs.
Creating a Notion template is like building an empty house for other people to decorate and customize to their liking. You are in charge of building the overall structure of the Notion template, but the end user gets to decorate and customize your Notion template as they please (without affecting your original Notion template design).
Notion templates can range from simple templates with one purpose to templates that involve lots of linked pages and additional features. Some people simply create templates for their own use, but others create templates to share – or to sell. You could sell templates that you’ve created for your own use, or you could create templates that you know other people want.
Why You Should Sell Notion Templates
There is an endless number of use cases for Notion and how it can help your daily lives from personal grocery lists to complex workplace project management.
Its flexibility makes it really powerful – but creating or customizing all your own templates can take time. This means there’s a great demand for ready-made templates that can help people get more organized in their daily lives.
In fact, there is already a market for Notion templates as you’ll be able to find independent online stores selling Notion templates and making upwards of $1000 on a monthly basis. This is a great passive income idea that you can establish from the comfort of your own home!
What Type of Notion Templates Should You Create?
- Do you already have a business or a blog? Then think about your brand or blogging niche and come up with template ideas that would tie in with that. For instance, if you run a parenting blog, you could create a Notion template for family meal planning and grocery shopping.
- Are you currently selling any digital products? If you’re currently selling products such as an online course or ebook, consider bundling a Notion template with it as a bonus. For instance, if you have an online course about financial management, you could have a Notion template for budget tracking.
- What problems could you solve – or what needs could you meet? Maybe you’ve created a set of pages in Notion that you’ve found really helpful, and others might love to use those too.
- What does your audience want? If you have an email newsletter or social media following, run a poll – or simply ask for ideas.
Here are some of the most commonly used Notion templates to get your creative juices flowing:
Notion Templates for Health and Wellness
- Budget tracker
- Relationship journal
- Marathon training plan
- Habit tracker
- Daily reflection journal
- Workout plans
- Meal planner
Notion Templates for Home and Living
- Travel planner
- Grocery list
- Budget planner
- Plant tracker
- Pet care dashboard
- Dog walker or house sitting manual
Notion Templates for Design
- Designer portfolio
- Content design workflow
- UIUX playbook
- Creative brief
- Design review management
Notion Templates for Education
- Student dashboard
- Teacher wiki or resource central
- Online learning tracker
- Reading list
- Thesis planning
Notion Templates for Marketing
- Social media planner
- Content calendar
- Mood board
- Brand guides
- Media kit
Notion Templates for Startup
- Project roadmap
- Meeting notes
- Product launch planner
- Help center
- Company directory
- Team wiki
How to Create A Notion Template From Scratch
If you’re fairly new to Notion, you’ll want to develop your understanding and your Notion skills. Try these:
- The Only Notion Tutorial You’ll Never Need: this beginner-friendly guide takes you through the whole process of getting started with Notion, understanding how Notion’s pages and file structures work, manipulating tables, and more.
- How to Create Custom Templates in Notion Step by Step With Screenshots: this guide runs you through how to create your own templates, showing you the process of creating a page that’s then turned into a template.
Generally speaking, here is what you need to do to create Notion templates from scratch:
- Choose an existing page or template that you’ve created – or start from scratch.
- Build your template block by block. Give yourself plenty of time; you might want to experiment with different ideas.
- Test your template carefully to make sure everything works. This is especially important when it comes to databases and tables.
- Spend some time on the design of your template: you want to make it look good. Even simple things like tweaking colors and adding icons can make a big difference.
- Include instructions within the template explaining how to use it. You might include these as a linked subpage, a “Getting Started” page, a sentence or two of text at the top of your template, or whatever makes the most sense for what you’ve created.
How to Sell Notion Templates Online
The best way to sell your Notion templates is to sell directly to your customers instead of selling via online marketplaces.
When you sell directly to your customers from your website, you cut out the middleman and keep more of the profits for yourself. Not only does this allow you to charge higher prices because you’re eliminating the cost of the middleman, but it also builds customer loyalty and encourages word-of-mouth marketing.
Additionally, by selling directly to your customers from your website, you have a direct line of communication with them. This allows you to gather feedback about your products and services, which can help you improve your business. It also allows you to build a relationship with your customers, which can result in repeat business and referrals.
Here’s the step by step guide to sell Notion templates online:
1. Publish Your Template
Once you’ve created a Notion template, click the ‘Share’ button on the top right of your Notion account. Next, toggle the “Share to web” button on. Once you’ve done so, you’ll see additional options where you should make sure that:
- “Allow editing” is set to “off”.
- “Allow comments” is set to “off” (unless you want customers to be able to leave comments publicly on your template).
- “Allow duplicate as template” is set to “on” – this is how your customers will get their own copy of the template.
- Search engine indexing is set to “off” – you don’t want your template to appear publicly on the web.
2. Create a PDF or Other Downloadable Document
You can use online tools such as Canva to create a PDF where you’ll need to include
- The link to your template
- Brief instructions on using the template
This PDF is what you’re going to sell as a digital download to your customers.
TIP: You can get the link to your Notion template by clicking “Copy” next to the link that’s directly under “Share to web”.
3. Create an Online Store
Create an online store where you’ll be selling your Notion templates from. Platforms such as Payhip allows you to create and customize your online store for free. Payhip only charges 5% when you make a sale, so you won’t have to worry about incurring any costs when you’re just starting out. Sign up for a free account to get started.
Tip: If you already have a website of your own, you can embed Payhip into any ecommerce platform and still enjoy Payhip’s instant file delivery and seamless checkout that is optimized for selling digital products.
4. Upload Your Product Listing
In your Payhip account, go to the Products tab then click the ‘Add new product’ button. Next, select “Digital Product”, and you’ll be taken to the screen where you can add your product details. Click the “Upload product file” button to upload the PDF you had created. Then, fill out the title and other details for your product listing.
5. Set the Price for Your Notion Template
Notion templates can be very simple or very complex, so you might charge anything from $5 to $100+. It’s a good idea to look at other templates for sale that are similar in size and scope to get a sense of how to price yours. If you’re not sure about how much to charge, you also have the option to set up a pay-what-you-want pricing.
That’s it! You’ve successfully created an online store where customers can purchase your Notion templates.
How to Promote Your Notion Templates to Get More Sales
Putting your Notion template up for sale isn’t the final step! You’ve still got work to do in order to bring customers to your template. You need to be proactive in marketing your Notion template: people can only buy it if they know it exists – and they’re most likely to buy if they believe it will be useful to them. You could:
- Build a following on social media. Create videos or blog posts that take people through how you use the template and how it solves specific problems in people’s daily lives.
- Get testimonials from other people who’ve tried your template and who’ve found it helpful. You can also encourage and display customer reviews in Payhip.
- Run sales or offer a special discount coupon.
- Create an affiliate program to encourage other people to promote your templates. You can launch your own affiliate program for free using Payhip. You’ll pay your affiliate partners a percentage commission in exchange for bringing more sales to your online store.
Can you sell Notion template?
Yes, you can sell Notion templates. In fact, there is quite a sizable market for these.
How much can you make selling Notion templates?
You can sell individual templates or a set of templates as a pack. The pricing would depend on whether your templates require your specific skill sets to put together (e.g. engineering sprint templates) and various other factors. But in general, you can sell the templates for anywhere between $10-$150.
Where can I sell Notion templates?
You can sell Notion templates using Payhip. It’s 100% FREE. You do not need to have any technical expertise in coding. You can sell the Notion templates directly from your Payhip store, or embed the products on your own website.
How do I start a selling Notion template?
- Sign up for a Payhip account (100% FREE, no monthly fees).
- Follow the steps on this blogpost to create your own Notion templates
- Create product listings on Payhip to sell your Notion templates
- Start selling your Notion templates to your audience