Tears in Rain
Pay what you want: (minimum €6.50)
DESCRIPTIONTears in Rain is a feather-light shawl inspired by raindrops glittering on spider webs after the rain. Worked in two contrasting textures — a sparkly single-ply and a fluffy mohair blend — this shawl is engaging to knit and the perfect layering piece to wear from cool summer nights to dreary fall days.
Tears in Rain is worked from the top down as a hybrid between a semi-circle and a crescent. Sections of stockinette in the main color and an easily memorizable two-row lace pattern in the contrasting color alternate throughout the body of the shawl. The design is finished with a looped crochet border.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are provided for the lace pattern.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #tearsinrainshawl and #talviknits.
- Wingspan: approx. 155 cm / 5’1”
- Depth: approx. 55 cm / 21¾”
- Main color (MC): 1 skein of PetrichorYarns Merino Single Bling (95% merino, 5% stellina, 366 m/100 g) in the colorway Raindrops
- Contrast color (CC): 2 skeins of PetrichorYarns Mohair/Mulberry Silk (70% mohair, 30% silk, 250 m/50 g) in the colorway Silver
- Or for CC: 2 skeins of PetrichorYarns Tiny Silk Mohair (70% mohair, 30% silk, 420 m/50 g), held double
- For MC: approx. 365 m / 400 yd of fingering-weight single-ply yarn. Use superwash merino, a merino/stellina, or merino/silk blend.
- For CC: approx. 500 m / 545 yd of fluffy fingering-weight yarn. Use mohair, brushed alpaca, or a blend.
- Or for CC: 1000 m / 1090 yd of fluffy lace-weight yarn held double
- 3.5 mm / US #4 long circular needle (80–100 cm / 32–40”) or size needed to obtain gauge
- 3.5 mm / US #4 or E crochet hook
- Darning needle