Lady of Light
Pay what you want: (minimum €7.90)
DESCRIPTIONLady of Light is a subtle shawl with quiet, understated beauty. This elegant triangle shawl is named after Galadriel, the queen of the elves.
Lady of Light is a shallow triangle-shaped shawl made with smooth stockinette, rhythmic lace, and shimmering beads. The shawl comes in two size variations — one or two skeins of fingering — along with instructions for adjusting the shawl size as needed. There are also two suggestions for bead placement. Beads are of course entirely optional!
Lady of Light begins a series of shawl designs inspired by The Lord of the Rings. Both written and charted instructions are provided for the lace pattern. The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #ladyoflightshawl and #talviknits.
- Small [Large]
- Wingspan: approx. 145  cm / 55 ”
- Depth: approx. 45  cm / 17¾ [21¾]”
- Eijan Kudontaputiikki Kudon Silkki-maito-aloe (40% tussah silk, 30% milk, 30% aloe, 300 m/100 g, 328 yd/3.53 oz), 2 skeins
- Or fingering-weight yarn, approx. 400  m / 440  yd
- 3.5 mm / US #4 long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.5 mm / US E/4 crochet hook and spare yarn for provisional cast-on (optional)
- Darning needle
- Spare needle for provisional cast-on (optional)
- 76–234 [130–396] size 8/0 seed beads (optional)
- 1 stitch marker
GAUGE20 sts × 29 rows = 10 cm / 4” in stockinette stitch, blocked
TECHNIQUES USEDThe pattern uses the following techniques: garter tab cast-on, lace, placing beads in knitting, and picot bind-off. The pattern assumes the ability to work a provisional cast-on; references are given for a few alternatives.
Ability to work lace from a chart is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the lace pattern.
- 6+1 Provisional Cast-on Methods
- Garter-tab Cast-on
- Adding Beads to Knitting on the Current Row
- Knitted Cast-on
Yarn for this pattern was generously provided by Eijan Kudontaputiikki.