Spice Must Flow MKAL
Pay what you want: (minimum €5.50)
DESCRIPTIONSpice Must Flow is a mystery sock pattern inspired by the fictional universe in Frank Herbert's scifi novel series Dune. Set on the arid desert planet Arrakis, Dune is a sweeping space saga about the mysteries of the precious mind-bending spice the whole empire's economy depends on.
Don your stillsuit and step into the sweeping sands of Dune with a toe-up sock pattern that has lots of twisted stitches and unexpected turns. Each clue will keep you on your toes (pun intended!) but the ensemble forms an interconnected whole. The socks are worked from the toe-up in (light) fingering-weight sock yarn. Choose a solid or semi-solid color in a round, smooth yarn to let the stitch pattern shine.
The pattern comes in three sizes (60, 64, and 68 stitches) and with two toe options. Both foot and leg length are adjustable within the stitch pattern. Right and left socks are mirror images of each other and can be worked two at a time.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. The pattern is chart-heavy but written instructions are also given for all stitch patterns.
Spice Must Flow MKAL is released in five weekly clues starting Friday, October 1 and concluding on October 29, 2021.
- S [M, L]
- 60 [64, 68] sts
- Shoe size approx. EU 36/37 [38/39, 40/41] / US 5–6 [6½–7½, 8–9]
- Foot circumference: approx. 19 [20, 21.5] cm / 7½ [7¾, 8¼]"
- Foot length: approx. 22.5 [23.5, 24.5] cm / 9 [9¼, 9½]"*or adjustable within pattern
- Leg length from top of heel flap: approx. 20 cm / 8"*or adjustable within pattern
Choose a size with approx. 10% of negative ease.
- Kässäkerho Pom Pom BFL Sock (75% superwash BFL, 25% nylon, 425 m/100 g, 465 yd/3.53 oz), 1 skein in the colorway Kupari
- Or approx. 350 [380, 420] m / 380 [420, 460] yd of (light) fingering-weight sock yarn
Smooth, round, high-twist yarns are recommended. Pick a light(ish) solid or semi-solid color in order not to obscure the stitch pattern. Subtle speckles can also work.
- 2.25 and 2.5 mm / US #1 and #1½ double-pointed or circular needle(s) or size needed to obtain gauge
- Removable stitch marker (2 if working TAAT)
- Darning needle
- 32 sts × 45 rnds = 10 cm / 4" in stockinette on smaller needles, blocked
TECHNIQUES USEDThis pattern uses the following techniques: working small circumferences in the round, lace, twisted stitches, and German short rows. Ability to follow charts is recommended but written instructions are also provided for the stitch patterns.
The pattern assumes knowledge of a cast-on and bind-off method for toe-up socks; references are given for a few alternatives.
- 5 Ways to Cast on Toe-up Socks
- Improved SSK, SSSK, and CDD Decreases
- German Short Rows
- Comparison of 20 Stretchy Bind-off Methods
CLUE SCHEDULESpice Must Flow MKAL is released in five weekly clues in October 2021 with a new clue coming out every Friday at 07 AM UTC.
- Clue 1: October 1
- Clue 2: October 8
- Clue 3: October 15
- Clue 4: October 22
- Clue 5: October 29