Pay what you want: (minimum €5.50)
DESCRPTIONJuhani's socks were inspired by an old Finnish carol in which brother Juhani and sister Liisi are woken up early on a frosty Christmas Eve morning for a sleigh ride to the church.
Juhani's socks are a simplified version of her sister’s. Wide garter-stitch panels are flanked by narrow cables in these mid-calf length socks worked in warm DK-weight sock yarn.
Juhani's socks are knit from the toe up with a stockinette toe, reinforced heel flap, and twisted-rib cuff. These elegantly modest cabled socks come in three sizes, fit for teens, women, and men alike.
Both written and charted instructions are given for the cable pattern.
Share your project with the hashtags #juhanisocks and #talviknits.
- S [M, L]
- 46 [50, 54] sts
- Shoe size approx. EU 38/39 [40/41, 43/44] / US 6½–7½ [8–8½, 10–11]
- Foot circumference: approx. 20 [21.5, 23.5] cm / 7¾ [8½, 9¼]"
- Foot length: approx. 22.5 [23.5, 26] cm / 8¾ [9¼, 10¼]" or fully adjustable
- Leg length from top of heel flap: approx. 16.5 [16.5, 19] cm / 6½ [6½, 7¼]" or adjustable within pattern
Choose a size with approx. 10% of negative ease.
- Jalovilla Pässi (85% wool, 15% nylon, 230 m/100 g, 252 yd/3.53 oz), 1 [2, 2] skeins
- Or approx. 230 [270, 300] m / 250 [290, 350] yd of DK-weight sock yarn
The sample pair is knit in size L in a light gray colorway.
- 3.25 mm / US #3 double-pointed or circular needle(s) for stockinette and cable pattern (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- 3.00 mm / US #2½ double-pointed or circular needle(s) for twisted ribbing
- Cable needle (optional)
- Darning needle