DESCRIPTIONMilky Oolong is a top-down crescent-shaped shawl with a subtle halo and delicate lace sections.
This shawl was inspired by a variety of Taiwanese tea with a subtly smooth, sweet, and creamy flavor. The Milky Oolong shawl has a cloud-like softness that comes from working with two strands of yarn: one wool, one fluff.
Milky Oolong is a joy to work on with a calming garter-stitch body and easy lace sections on the border. The shawl comes in three sizes along with instructions for adjusting the shawl size to your liking — or to available yardage.
This pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are given for the lace pattern.
Share your project with the hashtags #milkyoolongshawl and #talviknits.
- Small [Medium, Large]
- Wingspan: approx. 165 [185, 200] cm / 5’5” [6’1”, 6’7”]
- Depth: approx. 45 [50, 60] cm / 17¾ [19¾, 23½]”
- Yarn A: Isager Spinni or Spinni Tweed (100% wool, 300 m/50 g, 328 yd/1.76 oz), 2 skeins in the colorway #61s
- Yarn B: Sandnes Garn Tynn Silk Mohair (57% mohair, 28% silk, 15% wool, 212 m/25 g, 232 yd/0.88 oz), 3 [4, 5] skeins in the colorway #4310
- Yarn A: approx. 345 [500, 560] m / 375 [550, 610] yd of smooth lace-weight yarn, such as wool or wool blend
- Yarn B: approx 500 [675, 880] m / 550 [735, 965] yd of fluffy lace-weight yarn, such as mohair, mohair/silk, or brushed alpaca
- 4.0 mm / US #6 long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge) for garter stitch
- 5.0 mm / US #8 long circular needle for lace
- 4.0 mm / US G/6 crochet hook and spare yarn for provisional cast-on
- Darning needle
- 1 locking stitch marker (optional)
- Spare needle
- 2 stitch markers
- 18 sts × 30 rows = 10 cm / 4” in garter stitch on smaller needles with both yarns held together, blocked
- 16 sts × 17 rows = 10 cm / 4” in lace pattern on larger needles with Yarn B, blocked