This is part of the Remixed collection, nine versatile patterns which are great for using any kind of yarn, plus a detailed ebook about making recycled yarn!
- for any weight yarn, no gauge swatch needed
- knit top down to be custom fit
- crochet edging around holes can add creepiness
- folded hat can be styled different ways
- any weight yarn, 120-500 yards / 110-450 meters
- a set of double points and a 16" circular needle, sized to match your yarn, or a long circular for magic loop if you prefer
This pattern is for any weight yarn! This mask can be made as freaky as you want it, and can be folded up into a completely non-freaky hat for when you don’t feel like scaring the socks off everyone who sees you! Crochet around the eyes and mouth with your choice of matching or contrasting yarn — the crochet edging can help up the freak factor if you want it to!
The piece is worked from the top down, in any yarn weight, with the gauge measured on your knitting as you work to determine final stitch count. It’s custom sized, with the eye and mouth holes placed perfectly by slipping the mask on as you work (unless it’s for a gift, in which case you can figure out placement by measuring), and then the ribbed neck becomes the thick ribbed hat brim. Photo tutorials are included for the different crochet edging options.
This project looks great with stripes, so either a self-striping yarn or striping between different yarns is encouraged, but a solid color mask with contrasting eye and mouth edging looks cool too. Any weight will work, but keep in mind the function — a bulky wool mask may be a bit too warm for most locales!