- your own custom hat exactly how you choose, fit perfectly to your head
- in any weight yarn with no gauge swatch needed
- make it fitted, loose, slouchy, or beret style
- the sideways garter stitch brim can be any width, worked modularly with no picked up stitches
- use stripes to show off the different directions
- top designs all incorporate garter stitch, matching hat brim
This knitting pattern is for any weight yarn! Custom Tritops is a pattern set for any-gauge (without swatching!), custom fitting hats — you choose yarn, brim width, style, and one of three different tri-themed crown designs, each with a garter stitch element, tying it together with the sideways garter stitch brim.
The PDF includes photo tutorials for grafting and the provisional cast-on, photo details about the sideways edge cast-on technique, all the info you need about the different styles and custom options.
Yarn: enough yarn of any weight for a hat; yardage depends on gauge and style; for most weights/yarns/styles, one skein should probably be enough.
Needles: sized to match yarn, to get a fabric you like.
- your choice of needles for knitting a hat in the round (16” circulars plus DPNs or longer for magic loop, etc)
- optional: long circulars, 32” or longer, for the brim, to be able to measure the fit around your head
- 2 double pointed needles (slightly smaller size is fine)
Techniques used/learned: crochet provisional cast-on (photo tutorial included), grafting garter stitch (photo tutorial included), basic short rows (no wrapping) for the sideways edge construction (photo help included), knitting in the round.