Sign of the Sun
Pay what you want: (minimum €7.90)
DESCRIPTIONSign of the Sun was inspired by Jessie Burton’s The Miniaturist, a novel of love, marriage, and betrayal in the 17th-century Amsterdam. This shawl is soft and romantic — but the design is modernized with the addition of a bright color and crisp textures.
Sign of the Sun is worked from the top down as a hybrid between a semi-circle and a crescent. Interspersed with sections of stockinette and lace in the main color are sets of elongated stitches worked in a contrasting color.
The pattern is written with both metric and US terminology. Both written and charted instructions are provided for the stitch patterns.
Share your project on Instagram with the hashtags #signofthesunshawl and #talviknits.
- Wingspan: approx. 165 cm / 5’5”
- Depth: approx. 55 cm / 21½”
YarnShilasdair Luxury 4 ply (40% angora, 40% merino, 10% cashmere, 10% baby camel, 200 m/50 g), 2 colors
- Main color (MC): 2 skeins in Fleece Cloud
- Contrasting color (CC): 1 skein in Tansy Gold
- MC: approx. 400 m / 440 yd
- CC: approx. 200 m / 220 yd
- 3.5 mm / US 4 long (80–100 cm / 32–40”) circular needle (or size needed to obtain gauge)
- Darning needle